Prior to European colonization, the Atlanta area was the boundry line between the Cherokee and the Creek Nations. Europeans, sometime accompanied by slaves, moved into the area in the 1820s.
Before 1910, the residential area now known as Capitoll View was little more than a farm and pasture owned primarily by A.P. Stewart, "Uncle John" Shannon and the Deckner family. There were no paved streets, no electric lights and no sewage system.
In 1858, the 12 charter members of Capitol View Baptist Church (then located on Beatie Avenue) went to church by lantern light. Between 1910 and 1914, the community began growing, largely due to the addition of a Masonic Temple and pharmacy to the area. By 1913, utilities were installed and Capitol View was annexed in the City of Atlanta.
Fast forward to the year 2002, and you will find Capitol View a thriving inner-city neighborhood a mere 2.5 miles from downtown Atlanta. Its central location is only minutes away from Atlanta hot spots like Midtown, Buckhead, and Six Flags. Capitol view is filled with a housing stock of Country Victorian and Craftsman Bungalow style homes that are rapidly being renovated. First time home buyers are flocking to this area to find their dream home. Renovated homes are still available in this area priced below $200,000, which is becoming a real find in most intown Atlanta neighborhoods today. Capitol View is quickly becoming a THE in-town neighborhood to call home.
Capitol View is located just south of Turner Field, on the west side of the expressway. Exit at University Avenue (Exit #244) Go west at the bottom of the ramp. At Metropolitan, turn left (south). Turn right at the next intersection onto Dill Avenue. Some Information provided by http://www.capitolview.org/